2022 BIG Tier 2 Application Development Workshop
Introduction: A national virtual workshop for state Boating Infrastructure Grant (BIG) coordinators was held on June 30, 2022. The three-hour workshop was designed to provide state coordinators/applicants of the BIG Program a training opportunity focused specifically on developing competitive Tier 2 applications. The workshop presenters included federal, state, and State’s Organization for Boating Access (SOBA) representatives, each bringing their own extensive experience in the BIG program to the workshop. Content included an overview of the national scoring and ranking process, guidance on application submission using the approved online portals, a detailed review of the FY23 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO), state-specific internal grant processes, a discussion on the mechanics of a good application, and overview of SOBA’s Applicant’s Guide to the Boating Infrastructure Grant Program, perspectives from a member of the National Review Panel, a recap of application red flags and reminders, and an extensive question and answer session. The workshop was attended by 64 participants representing 25 states.
Click here for a copy of the workshop agenda.
Click here to view the workshop recording.
Session Presentations and Reference Materials:
1. National Application / Scoring / Awarding Process - Brad Gunn, WSFR Boating Programs National Lead
2. Grant Application Submission Logistics - Scott Meister, WSFR Region 4 BIG Coordinator
3. NOFO Review - Bill Perry, WSFR Region 5 BIG Coordinator
4. Internal State Processes / Timeliness / Scoring Committee - Nick Wallover, SC Big Coordinator
5. What Makes a Good Application? - Bill Perry, WSFR Region 5 BIG Coordinator
6. SOBA's Application Guide Overview - Preston Smith, VA BIG Coordinator
7. National Reviewer's Perspective - Janine Belleque, OR BIG Coordinator
8. Red Flags and Reminders - Scott Meister, WSFR Region 4 BIG Coordinator
9. 50 CFR 86 - Boating Infrastructure Grant Program Regulation
10. FY2023 BIG Tier 2 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)